Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rapid Prototype Reflection: Megadate

This was the fourth of our Rapid Prototyping tasks, completed in 2 weeks in pairs in DarkBASIC. The restrictions were
  • Persistent online world
  • Indirect PvP 
  • Win condition had to be based around resource management
This was getting towards the end of the term (and year), and I'd had about enough of the prominently masculine games. So I put my foot down and insisted on making a dating sim that revolved around building up cash and relationship points to "win" the best NPC boy/girlfriend. I had some assistance from my amazingly talented friend Elspeth Currie in doing the character art.

Players had to build the reputation of their online persona. Below is an excerpt from the design document to explain the points system, and how we attempted to maintain balance.

Players will choose activities to perform on an hourly basis. Players can only take part in activities when they are logged into the server. Activities are;
  • Talking to NPC: Players will gain 1 exp from conversing with the NPC. If they have the highest score of all players talking to the NPC in any given hour, they will be awarded 2 extra exp, and 1 “Score Point”.  The Score Point is the primary indicator of rank in the game, and this will be the only factor that determines standings on the online leader board. Talking to the NPC can only commence in the first 15 minutes of any given hour, and will end at the start of the next hour.
  • Shopping:  Players can purchase clothing or gifts. They can choose to enter and leave the store at any time if they are browsing, but must spend 15 minutes inside the store for each item that is purchased.
  • Working: Players earn money to purchase gifts and clothing. Work can begin at any time, but players will only be awarded money for each full hour spent at their job.
Conversation with the NPC will be simulated by automatic calculation of “Score Ratio” based on a number of attributes/statistics that the player can increase by taking certain actions. Formula will be (Novelty)+(Attractiveness)+(Income)+(Gift) = Score Ratio. Attributes are:
  • Novelty: Earned by being new to the game, starts at max of 10 and decreases on a daily basis, reaches 0 after 10 days of play, cannot be restored. After this, novelty will decrease at the same rate, min rate -10. This is to aid balance.
  • Attractiveness: Earned by dressing well. Clothing can be purchased with money (dollars)
  • Income: Earned by working in one of the stores at the mall. Money (dollars) can be spent on clothing to increase Attractiveness, or gifts for Score Ratio boost.
Intro Screen
Log In Screen

 Main Menu

Shopping Screen
Talking Screen
Working Screen
I really loved the concept behind this one, but again we had HR Issues and the database was never implemented, so it never became more than a series of menus. So unfortunately no working copy of this one is available, but it's on my list for "one day".

Things I learned:
  • Resource systems should be tested thoroughly. I never got the chance to in this one, but when I was designing it I was flying by the seat of my pants and have no idea how well it would actually work. 
  • Have preparations in place in case other people don't meet deadlines.This was about the fifth time this term I'd learned this lesson, and by no means the last.
  • I want to learn more about menu design!

No comments:

Post a Comment